Lentil Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Rinse rice and lentils in a strainer. Place in a small saucepan and stir in boiling water. Cover. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in a sauté pan. Add onion, and sauté until golden brown over medium low heat. Stir in lentil mixture and mint. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Slice the tops off tomatoes, and reserve. Scoop out the middles, and reserve. Fill tomato shells with lentil mixture, and replace the tops. Stand in a baking dish.
- Chop reserved tomato middles, and place in a small bowl. Mix in oil and garlic. Pour around the stuffed tomatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 230°C for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve.