Sweet & Sour Tofu
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 large chopped red pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the rice, reduce the heat, and simmer until the rice is tender and water is absorbed, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Remove excess water from the tofu, and then cut it into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the pineapple juice, lemon juice, ketchup, maple syrup, tamari, sesame oil, arrowroot, and ginger together.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, green beans, bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini and stir-fry until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice mixture, tofu and pineapple. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon the veggies and sauce over the brown rice and serve.