Tofu & Cheese Stuffed Shells
- 1 (16 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) container tofu
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat combine carrot, zucchini and onion. Pour in just enough water to cover; cook until tender and drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the tofu with a fork. Stir in carrot mixture, cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg while, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine tomatoes, tomato puree, basil, oregano, garlic powder and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stuff each cooked pasta shell with about 1 rounded tablespoon of the filling. Place shells in an un greased 2-quart baking dish. Pour sauce over shells.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.