Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract spread
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1 1/4 cups broth, yeast extract, lentils and barley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine remaining 3/4 cup broth, carrot, onion and walnuts; cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Combine flour and water and stir into carrot mixture; simmer until thickened. Combine carrot mixture with lentil mixture and season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over lentil mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.